THEFT FROM VEHICLE PREVENTION
Different types of crime are sometimes unique to certain neighborhoods or businesses or particular parts of a community. However, there is one type of crime which does not seem to be a respecter of geographic or economic boundaries. This crime is stealing from vehicles.
Theft from vehicles can occur anywhere there are vehicles present. This includes places where there are a large concentration of vehicles like shopping facilities, churches, sporting and recreation events, and restaurants down to a single vehicle parked on a residential street.
Here are some tips which will hopefully keep you from being a victim of theft of your personal belongings from your vehicle.
- The best advice that can be given is to simply not leave anything in your vehicle in plain sight which you would not want taken.
- ALWAYS LOCK YOUR DOORS. Even if you plan to be away from your vehicle for only a minute such as running in to pay for gas. The majority of these crimes occur on unsecured vehicles. These are opportunistic criminals and an unlocked vehicle is an incredibly easy target for them.
- Park in well lighted areas.
- When shopping, always make sure to place purchases in the trunk and out of sight before going to the next shopping area to park.
- Try to maintain a “clutter free” vehicle.
- If you don’t have the luxury of parking your vehicle in the garage at night and have to leave it parked in the driveway or on the street in front of the house, make sure to remove the garage door opener. This is a key to your home !!
Again, the best advice is to always lock your doors and never leave anything in your vehicle, or at least in plain sight, that you would not want taken. Even the smallest most insignificant items left in plain view could result in a window being smashed which causes a great deal of expense and mess. If you will eliminate the opportunity, you will more than likely eliminate the crime.